From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ryao@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 05:55:07
1 On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:38:17 -0400
2 Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 06/21/2012 04:29 AM, Duncan wrote:
5 > > Richard Yao posted on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:50:33 -0400 as excerpted:
6 > >
7 > >> On 06/20/2012 04:35 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
8 > >>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:25:30 -0400 Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
9 > >>> wrote:
10 > >
11 > >>>> POSIX Shell compliance
12 > >>>
13 > >>> So far as I know, every PM relies heavily upon bash anyway (and
14 > >>> can't easily be made not to), so even if developers would accept
15 > >>> having to rewrite all their eclasses, it still wouldn't remove
16 > >>> the dep.
17 > >>>
18 > >> Lets address POSIX compliance in the ebuilds first. Then we can
19 > >> deal with the package managers.
20 > >
21 > > Additionally, this is extremely unlikely because a number of
22 > > developers insist on bash, to the extent that it would likely split
23 > > gentoo in half if this were to be forced. It wouldn't pass
24 > > council. It's unlikely to even /get/ to council.
25 > >
26 > > Openrc could move to POSIX shell because its primary dev at the
27 > > time wanted it that way and it's only a single package. However,
28 > > even then, doing it was controversial enough that said developer
29 > > ended up leaving gentoo in-part over that, tho he did continue to
30 > > develop openrc as a gentoo hosted project for quite some years.
31 > > Now you're talking trying to do it for /every/ (well, almost every)
32 > > package, thus touching every single gentoo dev. It's just not
33 > > going to happen in even the medium term (say for argument APIs
34 > > 5-7ish), let alone be something practical enough to implement, soon
35 > > enough (even if everyone agreed on the general idea, they don't),
36 > > to be anything like conceivable for EAPI5.
37 > >
38 > > So just let that one be. It's simply not worth tilting at that
39 > > windmill.
40 >
41 > Would you (or someone else) elaborate on the specific features of bash
42 > that people find attractive?
43
44 Local variables, reasonable behavior (like 'FOO=abc bar' where bar is
45 macro), arrays, [[ ]] tests (which are obviously faster than calling
46 external test program).
47
48 One more use: printing useful die messages (in POSIX sh there's no way
49 to do a backtrace).
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny