From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay usage and maintainence [was: DistroWatch and Gentoo packages: status quo and future]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:57:51
1 On Sunday 13 September 2009 13:30:13 Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > Richard Freeman schrieb:
3 > > Jesús Guerrero wrote:
4 > >> Most Gentoo users will have no problem to use overlays as they need
5 > >> them. If we had more developers we could as maintain more packages,
6 > >> as simple as that.
7 > >
8 > > I actually tend to agree with this position, however to use overlays as
9 > > a valid solution for end-users we need to do more to support them. Right
10 > > now it is at least a little painful to get set up with an overlay.
11 >
12 > I dont see any problem with "emerge layman; layman -L; layman -a <your
13 > preferred overlay>"
14
15 First issue: How do I find out in which overlay stuff is?
16 Second issue: "I want foopackage and barpackage, but not your hacked gcc"
17 Overlays can overshadow tree packages, which can have undesired effects.
18
19 > If developers create safe-to-use overlays, then i think, there is something
20 > wrong. Those ebuilds shouldnt be hidden in any overlay, but instead be
21 > added and maintained in the main tree.
22
23 Exactly. I've annoyed a few people by moving stuff from their overlay to the
24 tree because it had been stuck in the overlay for ages and users were
25 wondering why we had no new versions. /usr/portage is my overlay :)
26
27 [snip]
28 > I think, this is the wrong direction. Instead of moving more and more
29 > things into overlays, we should keep as much as possible in our main tree.
30 Yes. That's one of the reasons I used gentoo in the past ... no fractured
31 overlay mess like on other distros. One tree to rule them all. Now things are
32 a bit more complicated ...
33
34 > With those two sets above removed, overlays would either contain breaking
35 > stuff (playground for devs) or not checked ebuilds from users. For both
36 > sets, the above ussage with layman should be easy enough.
37 Indeed. And everything else should go into the tree.
38 Also, everyone contributing regularly to an overlay (like X-Drum, who has done
39 an awesome job at maintaining Virtualbox) should sooner or later be recruited
40 to work on the Big Overlay instead.
41
42 Which points at another problem - our recruiting isn't as active as it should
43 be. Maybe we should have the Sith rule of gentoo dev'ing ... "Always two there
44 are, a master and an apprentice". It should be every dev's goal to have at
45 least one recruit at most times :)
46
47 Or for those of you too lazy for that - do whatever you can to recruit your
48 replacement. Once you've managed that you can be as lazy as you want!