From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new `usex` helper
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 20:43:55
1 On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 07:30:14AM -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 02:06 Fri 16 Sep , Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Specious argument; the point of controllable stacking was to avoid the
4 > > issue of overlay's forcing their eclasses upon gentoo-x86 ebuilds
5 > > (which may not support those modified eclasses) via the old
6 > > PORTDIR_OVERLAY behaviour. This is why multiple repositories have
7 > > layout.conf master definitions- to explicitly mark that they
8 > > require/consume a seperate repo.
9 >
10 > So let me get this straight — instead, you want overlay users to
11 > maintain a copy of every eclass they use, which will almost
12 > automatically become outdated and stale because it won't track the
13 > gentoo-x86 version?
14
15 Where did I say that?
16
17 layout.conf exists to allow repo's to explicitly state what they need-
18 this means we can have individual overlay stacks, instead of having
19 gentoo-x86, overlay1, overlay2, overlay3, with that as a single stack
20 (including eclass lookup), it can be broken out as individual stacks.
21
22 This limits the eclass affect for a repo to just what is explicitly
23 configured. This is a good thing. This is controllable in addition.
24
25 What I said from the getgo and you're missing is that pushing EAPI
26 implementation into the tree and ignoring EAPI, or having this notion
27 that every repository must automatically use gentoo-x86 (pushing the
28 format into the tree) is /wrong/; aside from meaning that the format
29 definition can now *vary*, which is great for wasting dev time and
30 screwing up compatibility, it opens up tweaking/customizing that
31 functionality- aka, fragmentation/divergence. If we did the sort of
32 thing you're basically pushing for, how long do you think it would be
33 till funtoo added support for a new archive format to unpack? That's
34 a *simple*, and *likely* example of how this can diverge.
35
36 Further, doing as you propose means we're flat out, shit out of luck
37 /ever/ distributing a usable cache for standalone repositories. If
38 they're bound to the changes of another repository, distributing a
39 cache in parallel is pointless (and not doable in current form since
40 metadata/cache lacks necessary eclass validation data for overlay
41 inheritance).
42
43 Fact is, gentoo-x86 has a lot of usable eclass in it, but it's not
44 required to be used. Anything trying to *force* that is very short
45 sighted and forgetting history.
46
47 You want new EAPI functionality that is bash only? Awesome, eclass
48 compatibility, and EAPI; don't just jam it into an eclass and say
49 "EAPI is slow/annoying and I don't want to do it". Do both, everyones
50 happy.
51
52 ~harring, cranky at revisiting the same arguments over and over