From: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Overlay Layout support.
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 07:19:31
1 >  Are we to say that we shouldn't allow tools to have support for this.  I
2 > think that it is a nature progression that if we are to allow overlays to
3 > extend the portage tree that we should allow overlays to extend other
4 > overlays.
5
6 I probably shouldn't butt in...
7
8 first, no I don't want you to merge java-overlay and
9 java-experimental, that's a bad idea (well at least for me)
10
11 second. I generally think anything beyond a personal overlay is crap.
12 All these overlays like sunrise, java-overlay, and on and on...
13 basically official, overlays that have qa and are pretty stable. are
14 crap. they should be in the tree. an overlay for developers is fine,
15 you know. where you are working on stuff... stuff that someone who
16 wouldn't want to hack on it wouldn't want, because it's too broken.
17
18 but one of the few good things about gentoo, in relation to other
19 distro's, 1 tree no repos, continues to fall further and further
20 apart.
23 Caleb Cushing
24
25 http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com