From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pushing fixes to stable before closing bugs
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 21:26:47
1 > I noticed a general tendency to close bugs affecting stable before
2 > pushing the fix to stable.
3 >
4 Right.
5
6 > The idea is that if you only fix in ~arch, you risk a serious and
7 > _known_ regression in stable, which could be easily avoided.
8 >
9 As already detailed by others, most of the time these bugs involve problems
10 that existed in stable all the time and were fixed in a newer ~arch version.
11 So, no regression.
12
13 While I understand and applaud your intentions, I dont really intend to keep
14 gazillions of bugs open until the last arch has closed the last stablerequest.
15 Just for the simple reason that this is dead wood in bugzilla, and blocking
16 the view to bugs that actually still need fixing. Also, we dont necessarily
17 know from the beginning which revision will go stable.
18
19 (BTW, x86 is a bit behind at the moment. :)
20
21 We might think about a dedicated application for tracking stabilizations,
22 instead of using bugzilla. Alternatively, one could extend bugzilla in a way
23 that each closed bug report MUST contain an affected package version *range*.
26 Andreas K. Huettel
27 Gentoo Linux developer
28 kde (team lead), sci, tex, arm, printing
29 dilfridge@g.o
30 http://www.akhuettel.de/