From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintaining production systems - and losing ebuilds
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 03:31:34
1 On Monday 10 November 2003 12:00, Ron OHara wrote:
2 > This installed 'openssl-0.9.7' and removed 'openssl-0.9.6' -
3 > unfortunately lots of stuff on the system was compiled and linked
4 > against 'openssl-0.9.6' and they promptly broke. IE. Serious outage on a
5 > production system.
6
7 There is work going on to fix this. Others will be able to answer this better
8 than me.
9
10 > There is a script designed to fix this called 'revdep-rebuild' which
11 > scans all the installed binaries for broken dependencies and then
12 > recompiles them which should make them link against the nice new
13 > 'openssl-0.9.7'
14 >
15 > except!!! - revdep-rebuild carefully tries to recompile the exact
16 > versions of software you have installed (good idea) - but the Gentoo
17 > central repository has since deleted some of the build scripts for these
18 > older versions and when I did the 'emerge rsync', the scripts were also
19 > removed from my system. So I ended up where I am now - I have to go
20 > through and do 'emerge -u world' and then 'revdep-rebuild' to get it all
21 > working... not nice when there are nearly 200 packages to
22 > download/recompile on an old P233
23
24 I would call this a bug in revdep-rebuild. If it wants to use the package
25 that's installed rather than the latest one when rebuilding it should use the
26 ebuild that IS in /var/db/pkg/ rather than an ebuild that MAY be in /usr/
27 portage. Just my $0.02.
28
29 Regards,
30 Jason