From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: "Sean P. Kane" <spkane@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage and QA
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 05:53:34
1 On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 12:40, Sean P. Kane wrote:
2 > All this
3 > does is point out the real lesson to be learned here. Gentoo may be
4 > "cutting-edge", but the stability problems MUST be fixed, expecially in
5 > Portafge, because if it breaks, it can leave a system in a very
6 > difficult to recover state.
7
8 We actually have a good QA procedure in place for Portage. The problem
9 was caused by a senior developer doing things that he shouldn't and not
10 following this procedure.
11
12 Again, I don't want to make this person feel worse than he already does
13 (and he does feel bad about his error in judgement.) I sharing this info
14 for the sole purpose of letting everyone know that normally this problem
15 would have been caught way before it hit end-users, and that we *do*
16 have a QA procedure in place for Portage.
17
18 Today, I've made extra sure that all our devs are very clear on the
19 rules regarding new Portage releases. I've done what's necessary to help
20 ensure that issues like this are avoided in the future. I am now going
21 to incorporate these details regarding Portage QA into our official
22 policy documentation on the Web site so that future developers will do
23 the right thing too.
24
25 Sincerely,
28 Daniel Robbins