From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pms-bugs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New version constraints: variant one
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:25:13
1 On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:25:30 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Fri, 11 Nov 2016, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > > Most of your comments don't make sense if you are commenting on the
7 > > actual proposal. However, it seems that you immediately ignored the
8 > > core part of the proposal, and then commented on stupidity of some
9 > > distorted, imagined, half-ass proposal you imagined that lacks the
10 > > core part.
11 >
12 > I had merely addressed the following two points:
13 >
14 > - The proposal would split the behaviour of the existing operators
15 > depending on context: a) They ignore the revision when in a [] group
16 > but don't when used in the traditional way, and b) syntax is changed
17 > unnecessarily, e.g. ~ vs == and = vs ===.
18
19 The traditional way is only meant as a backwards compatibility
20 solution. I don't think we really should keep two syntax variants
21 supported forever, just because some developers are opposed to learn
22 anything new, and prefer contributing through every-half-a-year bursts
23 of drive-by commits.
24
25 Since the syntax needs to be changed anyway, why not introduce
26 a consistent set of operators instead of being forced to use whatever
27 was accidentally used years ago?
28
29 ==, !=, <=, >= -- all consistent with one another. Same for ===, !==,
30 <==, >==. Using some old ~ and = wouldn't fit that. The gain is greater
31 than any benefit keeping old operator in a completely new syntax.
32
33 If you think it necessary, we can also change > to >> and to << to
34 have matching length for all relevant operators. Doesn't Debian do
35 that?
36
37 > - The number of operators is doubled for no good reason. Revisions are
38 > not so special that they would justify that. In addition, if we
39 > limit the allowed range of revisions to 9999, the need for such
40 > operators will go away entirely. The most common cases (namely >=
41 > and ~) can be expressed already now, and the rather more rare
42
43 That's non-symmetrical -> ugly. I'm proposing a pretty solution that
44 doesn't go and tell everyone else what is justified and what is not.
45
46 > less-than-or-equal-to-but-ignoring-revision can be expressed using
47 > r9999 (in those even more rare cases where a < comparison with the
48 > next PV doesn't work).
49
50 That's a Gentoo policy. PMS applies outside Gentoo. Plus, do you really
51 find it convenient to type -r9999?
52
53 > For both points the cost of the syntax change or of introducing
54 > inconsistencies doesn't come with any benefit in the form of added
55 > functionality.
56
57 The cost of a major syntax change is pretty much the same. People have
58 to learn the new syntax and rewrite their dependencies anyway. Adding
59 a single '=' is a minor problem compared to the cost introduced by
60 ranges.
61
62 Plus, having a simpler way of expressing dependencies correctly also
63 changes things. Many developers were simply ignoring the correctness
64 right now as too hard to achieve. So the cost is still higher.
67 Best regards,
68 Michał Górny
69 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>