From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:40:50
1 On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 09/24/2011 02:10 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
5 >>  wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I believe something needs to be done with the zlib-1.2.5.1-r1 and -r2
8 >>> packages currently in the tree.  The maintainer of zlib pushed those
9 >>> revisions with a patch that alters macro identifiers, making Gentoo's
10 >>> zlib
11 >>> incompatible with upstream.  As a result, a lot of packages stopped
12 >>> building.  Bug reports for broken packages come in and then are being
13 >>> modified to fit Gentoo's zlib.
14 >>>
15 >>> Breaking compatibility with upstream zlib also means that non-portage
16 >>> software, the ones I install with "./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr&&  make
17 >>> install", also won't build.
18 >>> [...]
19 >>
20 >> It seemed to me like this was a silly problem from the outset. vapier
21 >> did arguably the right thing, and if that means exposing some broken
22 >> software, fine. We handle plenty of breakage worse than this, but I
23 >> understand that it can be inconvenient.
24 >>
25 >> However, you completely lost any support when you said
26 >>
27 >>> Yes, bad idea.  But it's in my liberty to write code however I see fit.
28 >>
29 >> That just makes me want to slap you.
30 >>
31 >> I'll echo what vapier said in response: it's absolutely your
32 >> prerogative to do whatever you want, but it's not our responsibility
33 >> to make sure that it works in Gentoo.
34 >
35 > The code is perfectly valid.  You cannot force people to follow your coding
36 > standards.  If it's valid C code, it doesn't matter that it contradicts your
37 > personal preferences.  It's not your code and you don't have a saying in it.
38 >  What's next, banning software that indents code with tabs instead of
39 > spaces?
40
41 You are allowed to disagree with his changes; but that doesn't mean we
42 must listen to you.
43 I actually disagree with Vapier as well (I don't see why we would act
44 without waiting for upstream) but I also trust his technical ability
45 in matters like this.
49 >>> It's a bad call. You've made plenty of those lately. This is just another
50 >>> one.
51 >>> IMO, you don't have the skills and insight to mess with this stuff. So
52 >>> when you
53 >>> try, breakage happens. I hope you retire soon.
54 >>
55 >> Are you kidding me? Grow up.
56 >
57 > This was just another episode of Vapier's hostile and arrogant behavior
58 > towards users.  Every time someone comes up with a valid argument of why
59 > he's wrong, the final answer is "don't care, I do what I please because I'm
60 > the dev and you're not."  So my reply was the politest I could come up with
61 > without using the f-word.
62
63 I'm curious what you think the final answer should be?
64
65 -A