From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] global useflags
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:11:06
1 "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Where is the pressing need to do that? Again, which current package would
4 > use a re-defined "css" USE flag?
5
6 No package would use it, and there is no _pressing_ need. I still think
7 it's nicer to let the user understand. What if we had qt referring to
8 quicktime, and no qt package just yet? Would it be okay for you not to
9 be able to understand without looking up the flag if qt referred to
10 QuickTime or TrollTech's Qt? (being all downcase helps not here,
11 capitalisation would have helped distinguish between the two).
12
13 > I don't think any user will expect media-video/undvd, app-cdr/k3b or
14 > media-video/cinelerra-cvs to support cascading style sheets but rather
15 > the other CSS stuff. :-)
16
17 This assumes that users know that there are _two_ CSS
18 technologies. Which I sincerely doubt. Note that even Wikipedia defaults
19 CSS to Cascading Style Sheet. While it can't say anything aboug Gentoo
20 users, it says a lot on how that particular acronym is perceived among
21 the general public.
22
23 And I see no compelling reason to stick with a bad choice just for the
24 sake of not renaming an USE flag, when the alternative is to actually
25 give back sanity to the flag naming.
28 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
29 http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
32 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list