From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: various more revdep-less Haskell packages
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 20:25:24
1 On Sun, 2022-08-21 at 15:10 -0400, matoro wrote:
2 > Hey mjo, sorry about this - we were somewhat aggressive when building
3 > this list because much of the ecosystem has a tendency to do things like
4 > put strict upper bounds in their cabal files, leading to lots of
5 > blockers and manual patching whenever dependencies get bumped.
6 >
7 > Do any of your packages pull in deps that are in the last-rited list?
8 > If not I don't see an issue with keeping them.
11 These are the recently-masked first-level dependencies that they need,
12 but there may be more transitively:
13
14 dev-haskell/configurator
15 dev-haskell/dns
16 dev-haskell/filemanip
17 dev-haskell/hdbc
18 dev-haskell/hdbc-postgresql
19 dev-haskell/hdbc-sqlite3
20 dev-haskell/missingh
21 dev-haskell/parallel-io
22
23 All of the bounds in my four packages are >= bounds -- even in the
24 cabal file -- to avoid the problem you mentioned. I'd guess that they
25 build fine against whatever the latest versions of those dependencies
26 are; if not, the dependencies could be updated (can't hurt worse than
27 masking, right?)