From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-science] Scientific Gentoo reorg: the proposal
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:01:12
1 On Sunday 25 June 2006 19:46, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > First, thanks to everybody who responded! (not that tehre were many ;)).
3 > Interestingly, the most positive result so far seems to be two people
4 > expressing interest to join :), so we need at least one more mentor I'd
5 > say..
6
7 Sorry about not responding until now - really busy in real life. I am
8 currently in the thesis write up and job hunting stage of my PhD with three
9 months of funding left - so my Gentoo time may well be fairly limited during
10 the next few months. I will do what I can as and when though.
11 >
12 > I'll start by refreshing general changes that were proposed:
13 >
14 > 1. Make Scientific Gentoo a top-level and create subprojects
15 > - this did not seem to get any complaints. So, when we are done with the
16 > mainpart I'll try to update the page, like move it to a proper location,
17 > redo the blurb and provide links to subprojects. Then I'll ask
18 > corresponding teams to produce some descriptions for the corresponding
19 > subprojects (its the same .xml essentially, just change the description
20 > paraagraph). But lets first get done with the reorg itself..
21
22 This sounds good to me. I think this will certainly be a positive move for the
23 work done with scientific applications in Gentoo.
24 >
25 > 2. Create smaller, topical herds to split 316 packages we have under sci
26 > right now.
27 > - Looks like most people assumed a natural herding of packages by
28 > categories (of course sci-libs should not be a separate herd, packages
29 > under it should fall under whatever makes sense), so lets try to start by
30 > creating a layout that follows. Here are the categories, as they stand now:
31 >
32 > Further is based on a quick glance at ChangeLog's (since I did not get much
33 > responce from actual mainatiners ;), so I may have missed somebody/listed
34 > somebody extra. Please check and comment accordingly)
35
36 Commented in your tracker bug on my involvement - all sounds quite reasonable
37 to me. Although I would hate to dilute down too much and end up with one
38 developer herds as they are not very productive in general.
39 >
40 > There were talks about creating sci-physics category, however I cannot find
41 > traces of that atm (or was it on irc?). If there really are apps for
42 > sci-physics it can start combined with sci-astronomy (or not, need a list
43 > of packages..)
44
45 I would go either way - crystallography and structural packages are also quite
46 physicsy depending upon your perspective...
47 >
48 > Any comments on the structure? Also, while sci-xxx is a "natural" name for
49 > the category (considering our present layout) it is somewhat cumbersome for
50 > the herd. I guess sci- part may be dropped, then, should the rest stay
51 > spelled out or people would prefere shortcuts, like math for mathematics,
52 > etc?
53
54 I would personally favour dropping the sci- and going for shortened names such
55 as maths/math, geo. If there is a great deal of opposition I don't think it
56 matters too much though.
57
58 Back to work anyway... I am usually around on IRC too if anyone wants to chat
59 about this stuff. It is a manic week this week though, so may be not so much.
60
61 Thanks,
62
63 Marcus