From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 06:31:04
1 On 21:22 Sun 08 Mar , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 23:35 Sun 08 Mar , Tiziano Müller wrote:
3 > > Well, the point I'm trying to make here is a different one: The syntax
4 > > you proposed is more to write but still equivalent to the one using
5 > > vars. And looking at the ebuilds - taking G2CONF as an example - it
6 > > seems that people don't have a problem with putting their config
7 > > options into vars. And furthermore with your syntax you still have to
8 > > write out "econf $(use_with ...)" explicitly while adding it the
9 > > conf-vars to a var (as proposed) makes the complete src_configure
10 > > function obsolete, allows the usage of the default
11 > > src_configure/src_compile/src_install (see
12 > > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_17e6ae8082aeb762fd01ba7307457789.xml
13 > > for example) and is therefore even shorter to write.
14 >
15 > I think the idea of ebuilds as scripts showing directly how to build
16 > software is a core part of the Gentoo build-system philosophy. This
17 > proposal pushes ebuilds toward a formatted file that is not a script.
18 > Instead, it is more like an Ant XML file that more abstractly describes
19 > a build. I think this is the wrong direction for ebuilds because they
20 > should directly resemble how software is built by hand.
21 >
22 > One of the key reasons people use Gentoo is that ebuilds are so easy to
23 > "get" for anyone who has ever built software by hand. I will continue to
24 > vehemently defend anything that I think retains this key advantage of
25 > Gentoo over other distributions.
26
27 To return to the original point of this whole thread, your goal was to
28 get EAPI=3 through fairly quickly without tons of controversial points.
29 I don't think this component qualifies. Feel free to bring it up again
30 for 4.
33 Thanks,
34 Donnie
35