From: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
To: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:02:40
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03.33, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > aHi guys,
3
4 We are all painfully aware of the chronic communication, coordination and
5 planning issues that are a direct result of the massive growth of this
6 project. The primary victim of this growth has been the release of
7 Gentoo Linux 1.4, as well as all of our sanity.
8
9 Kurt and I have developed a comprehensive plan which we hope to get in place
10 *this week* to address all of these issues. A draft of the plan is below. It
11 is long, but *ALL* developers need to read it in its *ENTIRETY* and
12 understand why we need to move from a unstructured community development
13 model to a model that incorporates the best possible software development
14 and management practices. This is the first critical step in making this
15 happen. Being better organized is the only way we can effectively grow
16 while improving the quality of Gentoo. Enough said, please read.
17 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18 Daniel,
19
20 I'm glad to see something is going to happen and if I can be of help please
21 clet me know. I do however have some basic problems which aren't addressed
22 and only require a couple of people to sort them out.
23
24 1. What is Gentoo 1.4. What it may have been intended to be in January is
25 probably not what it is going to be now. Before you recruit all and sundry
26 you have to define this as if it isn't defined everything will fall down and
27 chaos will return. Some basic things I see is that it needs to be are:
28 gcc3.3 based
29 glibc2.3.2
30 openssl0.9.7
31 2. What are the core applications. Is it a desktop, a server orinitated
32 system or a system compremised to do both. I would suggest desktop as I
33 think thats what it is mainly used for, but I don't have the stats so I could
34 be well off the mark. (Market research required)
35 3. What platform should be supported at release time. Here I think x86 and
36 maybe x86-64. Targeting too many will just delay it. Have some other dates
37 for the rest to follow.
38
39 These are just really fundementals but until the requirements are documented
40 things will never really come together.
41
42 Get things out in the open. Gentoo-core is probably the worst idea someone
43 ever came up with, OSS development is meant to be a very transparent process.
44 Make it transparent. I know there are always private issues but if they
45 involve more than 3 people then perhaps they should be public.
46
47 Remember that 99% of your resources are probably volunteers, make it easy for
48 them to do what they want to do and meet your objectives. I'm not sure how
49 you can make them accountable for what they do but I don't think thats a
50 problem if they are empowered to do what they want to do. Code hackers in
51 general make poor managers and vice versa.
52
53 Good luck
54
55 tony