From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About DESCRIPTION in ebuilds needing to end with a dot "."
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:33:22
1 El sáb, 20-10-2012 a las 16:27 +0200, Peter Stuge escribió:
2 > Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 > > > So, rephrasing the example Alexandre pasted, consider:
4 > > >
5 > > > x11-libs/qt-core - The Qt toolkit is a comprehensive C++ application
6 > > > development framework.
7 > > >
8 > > > vs.
9 > > >
10 > > > x11-libs/qt-core - A comprehensive C++ application development framework
11 > > >
12 > > > Which one is better, in your opinion?
13 > >
14 > > Well, I my case I would prefer second
15 >
16 > I agree, I also like the second example.
19 > > sentence...
20 >
21 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_(linguistics)#Major_and_minor_sentences
22 >
23 > Suggests that even a phrase such as the second example above can be
24 > called a (minor) sentence.
27 > > but it would still end with a dot.
28 >
29 > I think that looks ugly and is redundant.
30 >
31 > Especially if we were to require that all DESCRIPTION phrases must
32 > always be presented with a full stop, I think it is a very bad idea
33 > to enforce that they are written into the ebuilds. Especially if
34 > there is a rule that they will always be terminated by a full stop
35 > then that should and must be added by tools using the ebuild.
36 >
37 > It makes absolutely no sense to have so frequent redundant data in
38 > ebuilds, and it seems like full stop or no full stop is a matter of
39 > presentation policy and should thus happen during presentation.
42 > > But if it sounds rare for you, no problem.
43 >
44 > ebuilds are markup and not formatting IMO, and the two shouldn't be
45 > confused. If you want to work on presentation (which is important
46 > too!) then go for it, but in any case I don't think a full stop at
47 > end of descriptions is really worth the cost. All user interfaces are
48 > shitty enough already, and users are unable to deal with information
49 > already, so please don't add redundancy like full stops would be to
50 > the problem.
53 > //Peter
54
55 Well, no problem in either way we finally choose (either "." or not),
56 was simply trying to know what is preferred and try to unify the
57 handling.