From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:01:00
1 On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:32:18 +0200
2 Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Thus, I propose an extension to emerge that would look through your
5 > system and see which packages are marked as 'unstable' and ask the
6 > user interactively if they think the packages are OK. The responses
7 > could be of the type:
8
9 Maybe a seperate package similar to gentoo-stats really is a good idea.
10 Actually I was thinking about doing something like this to finally get
11 myself to learn Perl (I believe to remember that blizzy did the
12 backend of gentoo stable in Perl too), but then university exams somehow
13 came between me and this project. After that Ruby distracted me from
14 learning Perl, but I'm way to OT here...
15
16 But: how does the script know _for sure_ that the package was installed
17 while marked as unstable? Example: you install package foo while it's
18 still "~x86". Some days go by where you test the newly installed package
19 (which is maybe a good idea if you want to comment on it being stable or
20 not). The day you use gentoo-stable (or whatever the script is
21 called) you synced before using it and now it's "x86". Would there still
22 be a way to know if it was installed while being "~x86" masked?
23
24 Hm, I had a short look, seems like the ebuild which a package used for
25 installation is stored in /var/db/pkg/$CATEGORY/$APP/$APP.ebuild (BTW
26 there's quite a lot of useful information in /var/db/pkg anyway).
27
28 Also it maybe would be a nice thing to have a switch for this script to
29 automatically submit all packages which it finds where installed using
30 ~ARCH as "emerged sucessfully" (which I suppose they were if they land
31 in /var/db/pkg). This way it would be possible to set it up as a cronjob
32 so people (who are generally lazy from my experience) wouldn't have to
33 rate each package individually. Althoug this information is not quite as
34 good as "the full thing" but somehow I doubt all this people would be
35 running gentoo-stats if they had to do more then set up the crontab
36 once...
37
38 Sorry for this rather long a quite unfocussed post, mid-term exams are
39 on the horizon again so I maybe should just shut up and grab my books...
40
41 Michael
44 www.cargal.org
45 GnuPG-key-ID: 0x90CA09E3
46 Jabber-ID: citizen428 [at] cargal [dot] org
47 Registered Linux User #278726