From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:01:00
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:32:18 +0200
Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com> wrote:

> Thus, I propose an extension to emerge that would look through your > system and see which packages are marked as 'unstable' and ask the > user interactively if they think the packages are OK. The responses > could be of the type:
Maybe a seperate package similar to gentoo-stats really is a good idea. Actually I was thinking about doing something like this to finally get myself to learn Perl (I believe to remember that blizzy did the backend of gentoo stable in Perl too), but then university exams somehow came between me and this project. After that Ruby distracted me from learning Perl, but I'm way to OT here... But: how does the script know _for sure_ that the package was installed while marked as unstable? Example: you install package foo while it's still "~x86". Some days go by where you test the newly installed package (which is maybe a good idea if you want to comment on it being stable or not). The day you use gentoo-stable (or whatever the script is called) you synced before using it and now it's "x86". Would there still be a way to know if it was installed while being "~x86" masked? Hm, I had a short look, seems like the ebuild which a package used for installation is stored in /var/db/pkg/$CATEGORY/$APP/$APP.ebuild (BTW there's quite a lot of useful information in /var/db/pkg anyway). Also it maybe would be a nice thing to have a switch for this script to automatically submit all packages which it finds where installed using ~ARCH as "emerged sucessfully" (which I suppose they were if they land in /var/db/pkg). This way it would be possible to set it up as a cronjob so people (who are generally lazy from my experience) wouldn't have to rate each package individually. Althoug this information is not quite as good as "the full thing" but somehow I doubt all this people would be running gentoo-stats if they had to do more then set up the crontab once... Sorry for this rather long a quite unfocussed post, mid-term exams are on the horizon again so I maybe should just shut up and grab my books... Michael -- www.cargal.org GnuPG-key-ID: 0x90CA09E3 Jabber-ID: citizen428 [at] cargal [dot] org Registered Linux User #278726