From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Providing consistent means to enable tests requiring Internet access
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 14:01:14
1 On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 15:37:15 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Congratulations, you've just completely discouraged me from pursuing
5 > this any further. I don't have the time or the resources to solve all
6 > the problems in the world, especially if I don't give a damn about
7 > them.
8
9 Its not that I don't want a solution here, but this has been something
10 that has long bothered me, sufficient I want to eventually see this
11 turn into a future-EAPI proposal.
12
13 I think if I was to say there is something we can do today for this,
14 I'd use a non-use variable to regulate it, expressly so it *cant* be
15 used in SRC_URI or DEPEND
16
17 perl-module.eclass has such a feature already, if an end user specifies
18 DIST_TEST_OVERRIDE="do parallel network", certain tests stop being
19 disabled ( though doing this globally will turn on a lot more tests
20 that are currently disabled for non-network related reasons, and force
21 parallelism where its not warranted, so said feature is still a poor
22 model to adopt verbatim in a global way )
23
24 But trying to decide on a shared ENV var that has default mechanics and
25 default implications and is enforced by portage quickly gets into
26 GLEP/EAPI territory anyway.