From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GCC upgrades, FUD and gentoo documentation
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 12:04:48
1 Hi guys
2
3 There is some FUD regarding GCC upgrades and I don't have the proper
4 knowledge to write a correct document on GCC upgrades. As you are currently
5 aware, we have a GCC upgrade guide [1], but it has seen its last update in
6 2008. Since then, things have undoubtedly changed.
7
8 What I can find on GCC upgrades and their apparent need (or no-need) for
9 rebuilding stuff:
10 - Since 3.4.0/4.1.0, the C++ ABI is forward-compatible, so rebuilds from
11 that version onwards should not be needed
12 - The fix_libtool_files.sh command is now part of the toolchain eclass, so
13 doesn't need to be ran by users anymore
14
15 The only thing I fail to find out is why libtool needs to be rebuild (if it
16 still needs to be). There are some sources telling it always needs to be
17 rebuild (RedHat seems to fix the two togather at all times: gcc and
18 libtool), others state that this is similar towards the C++ ABI, so not
19 needed anymore since 3.4.0/4.1.0.
20
21 I revamped the GCC Upgrade guide [2] with what I think is correct nowadays,
22 but this is, to be honest, a bit out of my league. That's why I'm asking
23 you, development community at large, to give some feedback on this, allowing
24 the GDP to get rid of the FUD once and for all ;-)
25
26 Wkr,
27 Sven Vermeulen
28