From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] How do we handle stabilisations of not-exactly-maintained packages
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:47:26
1 2011/9/20 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o>:
2 > The issue here is that if some part of the tree looses lots of its
3 > maintainers we as devs usually manage to shape it up enough for us in
4 > testing but nobody ever bothers to wait that 30 days and open
5 > stablereq.
6
7 An issue your suggestion doesn't address is when packages don't even
8 stick around 30 days/etc.
9
10 I know I've seen many packages where there is an ancient stable
11 version that is never touched, and a much newer ~arch version that
12 gets tweaked every 3-6 weeks. When it gets tweaked, often the old
13 version is just removed immediately, or shortly after it is bumped.
14 So, packages often don't stick around the 30 days it takes to
15 stabilize them.
16
17 Granted, this is a bit anecdotal so I can't speak for how big a
18 problem this is in reality. However, for any stabilization scheme to
19 work packages have to be, well, stable. :)
20
21 Rich