From: Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: infra@g.o, wiki@g.o, docs-team@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Moving project pages to wiki.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 14:22:28
1 I'd appreciate some input on below plan to move project pages to the Wiki:
2
3 Motivation
4 ----------
5
6 The main motivation is to reduce the contents on the main website,
7 allowing for an easier makeover. Also, the Wiki exposes the contents and
8 an editing capability to more people, allowing for better collaboration.
9 Finally, this is an opportunity for projects to go through the contents
10 in their project spaces and update/remove outdated contents as well
11 Gentoo as a whole to remove orphaned projects.
12
13 Process
14 -------
15
16 - Infra: /proj/* in CVS becomes read-only
17 - Projects: Go through documents, updating them or marking them to be
18 discarded
19 - Projects: Use a GuideXML-to-Wikisyntax conversion tool to create an
20 initial wiki version of the document
21 - Projects: Enter URL mapping information into a form
22 - Infra: Redirect www.g.o/proj/* to the respective Wiki pages
23
24 Before doing this with every project, I'd like to do a field trial with
25 2-4 projects.
26
27 Timeframe
28 ---------
29
30 The process should not take longer than 4 weeks.
31
32 Special pages and contents
33 --------------------------
34
35 herds.xml, repositories.xml, etc.:
36 As these are intended for other applications to use, these should go to
37 a new site, possibly api.gentoo.org, initially fed from a git repository.
38 This site should get backed by SSL.
39
40 Image resources:
41 These can be uploaded to the Wiki.
42
43 Other files and downloads:
44 Until proper project file hosting is implemented, again a simple
45 git-backed static site, possibly projects.gentoo.org.
46
47 Project main pages:
48 Using Semantic MediaWiki, we can represent all the semantic information
49 we had on the project pages, like members and subprojects, on the Wiki
50 as well.
51 (Do we need more information than we can currently express in the
52 guidexml markup or can any be removed?)
53
54 Project-created documentation:
55 Projects should consider moving documentation pages they created into
56 the main Wiki namespace, allowing users to improve the documents.
59 Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
60 Gentoo Security/Ruby/Infrastructure