From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Time based retirements
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:40:24
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 12/23/2012 02:06 AM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
5 > On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Markos Chandras
6 > <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
10 > I see "free" as "dump a lot of orthogonally related packages on to
11 > the herd that is listed but really the other herd members aren't
12 > interested in those packages.
13
14 Then that herd should not be on metadata.xml. What's the point of
15 being there if they have absolutely no idea how to maintain the package...
16 >
17 > IMHO, if you're really after finding others to take care of
18 > packages that appear abandoned then you should contact the inactive
19 > people to see if there's any packages they'd be ok with giving up
20 > to the proxy-maintainers project or to another developer, but don't
21 > retire them.
22 We working on such a policy.
23
24 > If the goal here really is to ensure well maintained packages then
25 > retiring people is akin to treating a screw like a nail and banging
26 > it in with a hammer, wrong tool... wrong job. For some packages you
27 > may find another developer right away with interest to fix it, or a
28 > proxy maintainer but in some cases you might have just kicked the
29 > only person who had any inclination to fix the package. Some
30 > packages have 50 users and 49 of them are Gentoo developers or
31 > would step up and become Gentoo developers to fix the package
32 > should it become unmaintained and that's great. But some packages
33 > have 200 users and 1 person willing to be the developer to maintain
34 > it. You retire that person and you might have well just told those
35 > 200 people to pick a different distro because inevitably their
36 > package will be treecleaned.
37 >
38 *Sigh*. We don't retire people who actively commit. If that person was
39 not capable of maintain this package (say if that package has 20 open
40 bugs for months) then we need to remove him from metadata.xml and say
41 "sorry folks nobody maintains it"
42
43 > If you need a concrete example of a package, that would be MythTV.
44 > I've been hoping for the day that someone becomes a Gentoo
45 > developer with the goal of maintaining MythTV for nearly a decade
46 > but it hasn't happened.
47 Did you explicitly drop it to maintainer-needed@ so others can know
48 nobody maintains it? Or do you expect them to guess it by leaving bugs
49 open on purpose? Telling people on bugzilla that they are welcome to
50 maintain it is only part of a solution. Did you announce it on a
51 mailing list? Maybe gentoo-users@
54 > Regarding my use of the words "brain dead", notice I never said
55 > "Markos is brain dead". What I said was the policy of retiring
56 > people when what you really want is an active maintainer of
57 > packages is brain dead. Now I understand that you're involved with
58 > the enforcement of that policy and therefore identify with it, but
59 > I would have to encourage you to separate yourself from a policy. I
60 > unfortunately feel after reading all the comments in this whole
61 > thread that my original statement is still true.
62 Like I said we are working on a "less brain-dead" policy so I have
63 nothing else to contribute to this thread
66 - --
67 Regards,
68 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2