From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 01:45:40
1 > On 11 Mar 2022, at 19:51, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 3/11/2022 13:25, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >
5 > [snip]
8 >> The new workflow with pkgcheck was announced at the end of 2019:
9 >> https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2019/12/12/a-better-ebuild-workflow-with-pure-git-and-pkgcheck
10 >>
11 >> It's been 2 years, I think we can bring everyone into the fold here.
12 >
13 > I've searched my -dev archives for part of that URL, and the only hits I am
14 > getting is this e-mail thread. Was this URL previously shared on this
15 > mailing list or another? I do not track the Gentoo Blogs, so unless
16 > something is shared to the mailing lists, I will likely miss it.
17
18 I think you may be latching on a bit to the pkgcommit thing. Nobody is making
19 you use mgorny's scripts. pkgdev has been advertised on this very ML:
20
21 https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=161443741531808&w=2
24 > That said, I will admit I am uncomfortable with post-commit, pre-push
25 > validation. I get that git is vastly different, and vastly superior, to
26 > CVS. Get it right the first time, and you don't have to worry about fixing
27 > it later -- CVS teaches you that very well, and it still works well for git
28 > workflows. Going back into git post-commit to fix things is still something
29 > I need to learn more about, as my git-fu is still pretty amateurish beyond
30 > the common basics. Especially when dealing with kernel patch maintenance
31 > and maintaining lots of small, discrete changes that kernel upstream prefers.
32
33 You can always do 'pkgcheck scan' before committing, or, I think
34 'pkgdev commit -A' might work.