From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New eclass: mate
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 09:07:29
1 On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 12:21:40 -0400
2 NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >> Furthermore, there was a discussion a long time ago about how
5 > >> functions shouldn't be called without an explicit inherit. That
6 > >> means that even if the mate eclass uses gnome2, if I opt to call
7 > >> gnome2 directly in the ebuild, I have to explicitly inherit it
8 > >> (which mostly defeats the purpose of inheriting it in the mate
9 > >> eclass).
10 > >
11 > > nah, this isnt true in your case: you can define mate.eclass' API
12 > > to always include gnome2.eclass, making it ok to use gnome2
13 > > functions by inheriting only mate.eclass. this means you can never
14 > > drop gnome2.eclass from mate.eclass though, which may not be
15 > > desired
16 > >
17 > I'm unfamiliar with this. Do you have a reference that I can look at?
20 not on top of my head, but some eclasses do that already (python-r1 for
21 python-utils-r1 for example), and it seems natural that eclass author
22 defines its API :)