From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:45:00
On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:14, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Not adding it into the ebuild means that it's impossible to show in > advance what packages will actually be installed, because you don't know > whether the sover will bump.
sometimes you dont know as the ABI bump may be arch or feature specific ... pathological case i agree ;) you would certainly know between the time you merge the new one and unmerge the old one though ... but now we tread into the territory of "portage should not unmerge ABI libraries until all consumers have been destroyed" which is better than the current craptastic situation of "you gotta revdep-rebuild after the fact with a broken system" -mike