From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package graveyard
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:05:32
1 Am 17.08.2011 18:45, schrieb Thomas Kahle:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm forking from a thread on gentoo-project:
5 >
6 > On 17:26 Wed 17 Aug 2011, Markos Chandras wrote:
7 >> Personally, I want to shrink portage. There is no way for 250 listed
8 >> developers ( I would be glad if 100 of us were really active ) to
9 >> maintain thousands of ebuilds.
10 >
11 [...]
12 >
13 > Is there a way for X to easily query the portage history and dig up the
14 > ebuild that was there at some point. She could then use the old ebuild
15 > for their new version, but without efficient search she would probably
16 > start from scratch. Some packages are treecleaned in the state 'working
17 > but with a single bug (and nobody cares)', it would be good if that
18 > state is somehow retained after the removal. Then you can get a fully
19 > working package while fixing only one bug.
20 >
21 > Searching through mailing list archives with automatted removal mails
22 > would be my hack, what would be yours?
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Thomas
29 There is already an easy way to query portage's history: CVS.
30
31 # Check out working copy if you don't have it
32 cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@××××××××××××××.org/var/cvsroot co gentoo-x86
33
34 # Show all files that ever were under version control
35 # You definitely want to store the output because it takes some time
36 cvs -q -d :pserver:anonymous@××××××××××××××.org/var/cvsroot log -NSR > \
37 logfile
38
39 # Grep for files in Attic, aka removed files
40 grep /Attic/ logfile
41
42 Finding the last revision and restoring it can be done similarly.
43
44 Hope this helps,
45 Florian Philipp