From: Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we need games group and all that game prefixes?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 17:23:53
1 On Sunday, May 20, 2012 06:26:17 PM Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Do we really need all of this poor man's 'you shall not play our
3 > games'? I don't think we're using anything like /usr/office & office
4 > group, or /usr/random-programs-i-dont-like.
5
6 I'd put money on there not being a single admin who has ever used the games
7 group to control access to games. Games really have no business being on a
8 system where anything like that is a requirement to begin with.
9
10 > So, my proposition is: finally drop that. Install games in regular
11 > prefixes, like all other apps. Don't pollute systems with unnecessary
12 > security perimeters which don't provide any real benefit.
13 >
14 > Any comments?
15
16 Is there any way to keep the games group around while not doing the weird
17 intrusive installation prefix? I have always disliked the prefix and don't see
18 the point of it.
19
20 However, requiring a special group for games restricts access by certain
21 unprivileged programs which run as their own user/group for security reasons,
22 thus providing a very slight security benefit. Or someone may have a user they
23 use which doesn't require access to nonessential programs like games, which
24 tend to be big complex programs less well-audited for security bugs.
25 --
26 Dan Douglas