From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New license: yEd Software License Agreement
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:39:15
1 On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Amadeusz Żołnowski <aidecoe@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > And this is probably the case when user has to accept a license on the
4 > website.  This is URL for zip archive of yEd-3.9.1:
5 >
6 >  http://www.yworks.com/en/products_download.php?file=yEd-3.9.1.zip
7 >
8 > It directs to website with license text, check-box for accept and
9 > download button.  If check-box is not set, following message is shown:
10 >
11 >  "In order to download yEd, it is necessary that you first accept the
12 >  license terms."
13 >
14 > If check-box is set, client is redirected to the page with actual link to
15 > zip archive.
16
17 It turns out the vendor is lying - you can download it fine without
18 accepting the license from:
19 http://www.yworks.com/products/yed/demo/yEd-3.9.1.zip
20
21 No doubt the vendor WANTS users to accept the license first, but it is
22 not "necessary" from a technical standpoint.
25 > Moreover, I have had email conversation with yWorks representative and
26 > he says that installation files need to be obtained manually by the end
27 > users from their website.
30 Again, they likely intend for them to be obtained in this manner, but
31 the word "need" is not true from a technical perspective.
32
33 This brings up a debate that was recently held over deep-linking in
34 bugzilla over a math library. The trustees never took a final vote
35 since the maintainer decided to just implement RESTRICT=fetch. The
36 issue there was about more than just copyright, however, and the trade
37 regulations around munitions do not apply in this case.
38
39 I don't think we have clear policy around this situation. I see our options as:
40 1. Set RESTRICT=fetch because upstream wants us to and we like to cooperate.
41 2. Set RESTRICT=fetch because even if legally they're on shaky ground
42 upstream could probably waste a lot of our time and money.
43 3. Set RESTRICT=mirror because legally we think we have the right to
44 do so, and want to stand for our principles and make life easier for
45 our users.
46
47 The potential upstream responses to doing #3 might be to do nothing,
48 to not like us, to sue us, or to not use a fixed URL to distribute the
49 file so that we have to restrict fetching for technical reasons.
50
51 Do we as a matter of policy want to respect broken click-through
52 download implementations?
53
54 Rich