From: Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improve the security of the default profile
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 19:52:51
1 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Is there any kind of information about performance penalty of
4 > -fstack-protector? I have googled some time and there are various
5 > estimations (from ~2 to ~8%), but I have no idea what have they checked
6 > exactly.
7
8 This depends extremely on the code: Most functions will be unchanged,
9 and only a few functions with possibly dangerous code get a fixed
10 impact whenever they are called. Whether they are called frequently
11 or not cannot be said in general.
12
13 > looks to me like it will have impact but "not too much" :/
14
15 Of course, it will have impact, but it is more theoretical than practical.
16
17 > For some recent computers I would probably use it,
18 > but for older ones, I am not sure if will be happy
19 > with that additional impact :|
20
21 On my old Pentium III laptop it makes no difference for my applications
22 which can be felt. Of course, if you have a special time-critical
23 application which just was on the limit, things might be different.
24 However,in such cases you would also use things like -DNDEBUG which one
25 would not choose as a default just because it gives some minimal
26 performance enhancement.