From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper Gentoo Name (was License criteria for Gentoo)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:25:55
1 On Thursday 26 September 2002 16:32, Mark Guertin wrote:
2 >
3 > Not true at all, Gentoo is also the whole init system (scripting and
4 > tmpfs sides), try doing env-update or rc-update add sshd default on
5 > another distro.
6 >
7 Of course that is also what defines a distribution although I could imagine
8 gentoo providing different profiles that have for example different init
9 scripts or other architecture changes. That would be gentoo to the extreme.
12 > There is a lot more to Gentoo than portage or the ebuilds we supply for
13 > users. It is unlike any of the RedHat or the knockoffs (Mandrake, etc)
14 > in that Gentoo actually brought something _new_ to the table, and it was
15 > more than a little something.
16
17 You are right. Gentoo brought flexibility and power (for the user and the
18 system)
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze