From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for late/slow stabilizations
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:01:15
1 On E, 2010-06-28 at 09:49 +0200, Thilo Bangert wrote:
2 > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> said:
3 > > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 08:15:32PM +0200, Auke Booij wrote:
4 > > > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > > What? I am talking about exotic arches and I didn't say to drop to
7 > > > > entire stable tree. Just to shrink it in order to keep it up to
8 > > > > date more easily
9 > > >
10 > > > But my question stands: what really is the advantage of having a
11 > > > stable tree, when you could better invest your time in keeping the
12 > > > testing tree up to date and working? Most production systems are
13 > > > running x86, right? Are stable versions of minority architecture
14 > > > installations really that much more stable than testing versions?
15 > >
16 > > Because a stable tree it is supposed to work. Testing tree on the other
17 > > hand is vulnerable to breakages from time to time. We can't always
18 > > ensure a working testing tree. We are people not machines. We tend to
19 > > brake things and this is way we have the testing branch.
20 >
21 > also the stable tree implies security support (GLSAs etc).
22
23 Stable tree does NOT imply security support. I can understand why users
24 might think that, though.
25 A few architectures that have a stable tree are not security supported
26 (GLSAs waiting for them, etc), as can be seen from comparing the arches
27 with stable trees to the security supported architectures list over at
28 http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/vulnerability-policy.xml
29 (at least arm, ia64 and sh by my quick comparison)
33 Mart Raudsepp
34 Gentoo Developer
35 Mail: leio@g.o
36 Weblog: http://blogs.gentoo.org/leio