From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:13:37
1 On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:51:01 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > I think you should start by describing the problem so we all could
4 > understand it, and then we can start thinking about a solution.
5
6 It's simple: abusing versions and slots invalidates what is otherwise
7 sensible logic. Thus in the long term we need to stop abusing versions
8 and slots, and in the short term a mechanism is needed to indicate
9 where this abuse happens. This is the short term fix.
10
11 > Is it that Paludis installs a newer SLOT even if a reverse dependency
12 > explicitly requests another SLOT? Sounds like a bug to me.
13
14 No, it's that if a user requests a "complete" resolution, Paludis
15 installs the newest version of things that it can. Extensive
16 consultation with users has shown that this is a good behaviour, except
17 in the small number of situations that have recently arisen where
18 people are doing weird things with versions and slots.
21 Ciaran McCreesh