From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Tomáš Chvátal" <scarabeus@g.o>, media-video@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/ffmpeg and media-video/libav
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 02:26:07
1 On Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:08:01 AM TomᨠChvátal wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 > As there is new ffmpeg fork that is a bit alive we should provide it as
4 > alternative to current media-video/ffmpeg.
5 >
6 > So libav is stored in media-video/libav (look at it, try to find issues
7 > and stuff).
8 >
9 > Virtual package is virtual/ffmpeg where now i implemented it to have
10 > versioned dependencies.
11
12 IMHO you're going a bit quick in switching everything; at least I would wait
13 until the whole tree gets its deps converted to the virtual before letting
14 libav be the first provider
15
16 I hope my fears are unjustified but I'm not sure how the PMs would behave in
17 the following cases:
18
19 a deps on b and virtual/ffmpeg
20 b deps on media-video/ffmpeg
21
22 what happens when I want to install package 'a' on a fresh system ? the pm
23 tries to pull the virtual and thus libav and sees a blocker with the non
24 virtual one?
25
26 same questions with:
27 a deps on media-video/ffmpeg