From: Klavs Klavsen <kl@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: Making updates never break dependencies
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 07:56:21
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I just wrote a GLEP, proposing a solution to the problem that updating
4 f.ex. openssl, requires recompiling almost world
5 (kde,mozilla,galeon,wget,irrsi,python etc.) - and breaks your system if
6 you don't complete all this, while you are running (since the old
7 openssl files are removed after the openssl upgrade -and programs that
8 haven't been recompiled will break).
9
10 You can see it here:
11 http://vsen.dk/files/GLEP-Making_updates_never_break_dependencies.txt
12
13 I hope you like the idea, and the proposed solution. Please comment if
14 you have any questions, as I would very much like to see this happen, so
15 I can run emerge -u world again :)
18 Regards,
19 Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - kl@××××.dk - http://www.vsen.dk
20 PGP: 7E063C62/2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8 B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62
21 See my new managed CMS Hosting Service at http://www.VirkPaaNettet.dk
22
23 Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent.
24 Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child
25 who is carrying a .38.