From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilisation procedure
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 17:01:39
1 Michael Palimaka posted on Fri, 18 Nov 2016 02:35:26 +1100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 18/11/16 01:58, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 06:16:27PM +1100, Michael Palimaka wrote:
5 >>> ==== USE flags ====
6 >>>
7 >>> While it is preferable to test every USE flag combination, this is not
8 >>> always possible or appropriate. The package may have a large number of
9 >>> USE flags, a long compile time, or the stabilisation in question may
10 >>> just not call for it.
11 >>>
12 >>> In cases where all USE flags combinations are not being tested, it is
13 >>> still recommended to test:
14 >>> * with all USE flags enabled * with all USE flags disabled
15 >>
16 >> Does this mean we are changing our policy to support users running
17 >> USE="-*"? I'm asking for clarification because in the past we have
18 >> always told users that if they do that they are on their own.
19 >
20 > Testing with all USE flags disabled is more about catching build
21 > failures than guaranteeing the package will necessarily do something
22 > useful.
23
24 Along the same line but with all flags enabled, how does that apply to
25 exclusive-or flags such as the qt4/qt5 thing that has been quite common?
26
27 Sure common sense suggests "all" doesn't really mean "all" in that case,
28 but given the opportunity presented by the update, if a guideline for the
29 case can be made explicit...
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman