From: Lars Pechan <lars.pechan@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Casey Cain <cjv99@××××.ca>, Wilbert van Bakel <wilbertml@×××××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] Bootstrapping w. gcc-3.1
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:45:08
1 (This is the continuation of a thread started in gentoo-user).
2
3 I'm not clear on this... Did you bootstrap twice then? Once from vanilla
4 Gentoo CD gcc-2.95.3 to gcc-3.1 and then once more to rebuild glibc with
5 gcc-3.1?
6
7 If you did I'm a bit surprised as I did try that as well with those very flags
8 (-march=i686 -O3 -pipe) and it still crapped out in the same place??
9
10 If you didn't then you have a glibc that was built by gcc-2.95.3. I'm not
11 fully up to speed on potential abi incompatibilities but isn't that asking
12 for trouble?
13
14 While we're on the issue, I have another questions in relation to this:
15
16 I have seen comments in various places (incl. the LFS source Wilbert was
17 refering to) that glibc should be built with a plain vanilla gcc without any
18 optimization at all but then you see others who seem to be running quite
19 happily with glibcs that have been optimized. This seems a particularly
20 thorny issue as some optimizations affect the abi (-msse -mfpmath=sse on
21 athlons for example) and certainly this could lead to all sorts of troubles
22 the day you try to install a binary package, couldn't it?
23
24 If that's correct then the logical conclusion would be not to do any
25 optimization or at least take care to make sure that the abi is unaffected?
26
27 While we're on the subject am I correct in stating that any binary package in
28 widespread use today (Opera. JBuilder) will not run under a gcc-3.1 system
29 because of changes in the abi between 2.95.3 and 3.1? (Until the vendors
30 release new versions compiled with gcc-3.1 that is). Or is there some sort of
31 compatibility layer that handles this?
32
33 Sorry for the length...
34
35 /Lasse