From: Bo Majewski <majewski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Request for enhancement
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:49:52
1 I think the "Final network configuration" can benefit from adding a
2 comment to indicate that 3c59x is a 3Com network module. It was less
3 than obvious to me, since I never owned one. The 3c59x looked like a
4 magic number, needed by Gentoo. Only after seeing an error message
5 during boot sequence I realized my mistake. Documentatin should caution
6 people to include modules they compiled. A good way of doing this would
7 be to include some comments in the code. I have RealTek 8139 Ethernet
8 card and for such you need to include 8139too module. Maybe something
9 like this:
10
11 Code listing 16.5: /etc/modules.autoload:
12 # If you compiled 3Com Ethernet card as a module uncomment the following
13 # 3c59x
14 # If you compiled RealTek 8139 Ethernet card as a module uncomment the
15 following
16 # 8139too
17
18 # Etc., for other cards ...