From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] PROPERTIES=set for meta-packages that should behave like package sets
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 02:22:54
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Ryan Hill wrote:
5 >> > Though I'm still not sure what happens when a package is in two
6 >> > unrelated sets..
7 >> >
8 >> > @gnome:
9 >> > RDEPEND=">=gnome-extra/gnome-screensaver-2.22.2"
10 >> >
11 >> > @xfce4:
12 >> > RDEPEND="gnome-extra/gnome-screensaver"
13 >> >
14 >> > package.use:
15 >> > @gnome opengl
16 >> > @xfce -opengl
17 >>
18 >> I suppose we could use the order that they are listed in package.use
19 >> to apply the incremental stacking, so opengl would be disabled since
20 >> @xfce comes after @gnome.
21 >
22 > I guess I'll need to stop sorting my package.use then. :p
23 >
24 > But yeah, I have no better idea. If someone really needs to lock down
25 > a USE flag on a pkg they can put the pkg atom itself into p.use.
26 >
27 Indeed, although a more natural approach might be to take whichever
28 dependency is more specific (in the case where the user hasn't otherwise
29 expressed a preference, and there is a conflict.) The more specific dep
30 implies a closer relationship (although a warning would be useful ofc.)
31
32 Another way to express preference or association might be useful too,
33 although a category heuristic would also aid automated decision-making (the
34 set is being considered, so I'm guessing we know, which packages are listed
35 in it; can easily query if not.) The fallback would be the simple position
36 in the list.
37
38 While this might sound like yet more special-casing it's the kind of thing
39 that delights users ime, since it means less for them to worry about, and
40 only runs in the case where the decision is not clear from the
41 configuration and the tree. IOW something to specify as a 'may' rather
42 than 'undefined.'
43
44 (I still feel the same about losing 'world' ofc *sniff* ;)