From: Thomas Pani <thomas.pani@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] flamewars@gentoo-dev
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:40:55
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Mike Auty <ikelos@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I'm quite happy to continue working in a friendly helpful environment,
4 >> where simple questions are most often met with patient answers and
5 >> people are given the chance to learn, improve and help out where they
6 >> can. I'm happy to keep quietly maintaining my ebuilds and let the
7 >> people whose packages I package come up with the new stuff. You don't
8 >> seem to be, so perhaps this isn't the right place for you to
9 >> contribute? ~ If you do want to contribute, perhaps you could
10 >> consider the environment you're working in, and be more accommodating
11 >> to it rather than fighting against it?
12 >
13 > The environment is a large part of Gentoo's problem. The focus needs
14 > to be taken away from the 'community' (where community means a bunch of
15 > Ubuntu users who make lots of noise on the forums) and put back into
16 > delivering a decent distribution.
19 But people will never agree on where to draw that line. While Mike wants
20 "a friendly helpful environment, where simple questions are most often
21 met with patient answers and people are given the chance to learn,
22 improve and help out where they can", you want everybody to be 100%
23 proficient.
24
25 Now, here's the point: if only those people ever spoke who are 100% sure
26 that they're 100% proficient, there would probably be only 1-2 people
27 left to discuss an issue. That is not just shutting out "a bunch of
28 Ubuntu users who make lots of noise on the forums" (I don't think that's
29 an adequate definition for 'community', btw), but also lots of
30 experienced users and actually most of Gentoo's developers.
31 Additionally, you can have such a discussion in private.
32
33 You say you're trying to improve Gentoo. Fine. You say you want to do
34 this fast. Fine as well. But you have to realize that fast won't work
35 without support from your user base.
36 After all, most Gentoo users aren't here to just to use the great
37 package manager. They want to understand their system. (If they didn't,
38 they were off to use Ubuntu/... anyway.)
39 But now here you come, saying "Great new feature, has to be that way,
40 won't explain to all of you uninformed people." I don't want you to
41 explain every bit. But if someone raises a concern or has a question
42 (and I expect him to have thought about what he's saying before doing
43 so), you just continue acting like that. So, how can you possibly expect
44 any support?
47 Thomas Pani
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list