From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FAQ
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:49:10
1 Please see below..
2
3 On Monday 08 April 2002 12:39, Erik Grinaker wrote:
4 > On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 21:17, Thilo Bangert wrote:
5 > > well - this has come up pretty often lately....
6 > >
7 > > I can't use the gentoo boot cd - is there any other way...
8 >
9 > Hmmm... I've just experienced the joys of completely reinstalling a
10 > server while it was actually running. That is, I installed gentoo on it
11 > while I had the RedHat installation running - and just replaced the
12 > services from the RedHat system with those from the Gentoo chroot one by
13 > one until everything ran from the Gentoo installation. I then did a
14 > quick reboot and had a fully functional Gentoo replacement system
15 > running. Downtime was two minutes.
16 This is nice. I actually did this on one of the servers as well :).
17 However, WRT original post (adding this to FAQ) I think this should rather go
18 to install instructions. There was some work done on an updated version, you
19 can take a look at "Installation insrtruction" thread (or rhater threads as
20 it came up multiple times). I think the topic was set by Michael Lang.
23 > I think that things like these are worth bringing to people's attention.
24 > I can (probably - if I find a bit of extra time) start writing a guide
25 > on alternate installation methods if you think it's a good idea.
26 >
27 > I can also contribute with maybe a bootdisk/netinstall and even a more
28 > automated installation process for people not really knowing what they
29 > are doing - if there is any interest for it
30 Great idea, but please check with Michael Lang, who was working on such
31 install guide (Oh, I see he just responded in a new post).
32
33 George