From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 'Images' without gcc/portage?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:46:10
1 Allen Rohner wrote:
2 > I have been a Gentoo user for several years, but this is my first step
3 > into gentoo development. I'm looking at the feasability of using
4 > gentoo for a product at work. Is it possible to use a Gentoo host
5 > machine to create a linux 'image' (ramdisk/ext2fs/iso) that does not
6 > contain portage or gcc? I have looked at several embedded gentoo web
7 > pages, and am familiar with the "ROOT=/opt/image emerge busybox
8 > dropbear" type command line, but all of the examples I've seen create
9 > a portage tree on the image. Additionally, getting past bootstrap.sh
10 > is painful.
11 >
12 > I am looking to use Gentoo to create a standard x86 environment
13 > complete with apache and X, but with no gcc or portage on the target
14 > machine. Additionally, use the same technique to cross-compile to a
15 > ppc embedded system.
16 >
17 > Is this possible? Is it a good idea?
18 >
19 > Thanks,
20 > Allen Rohner
21 dev-util/catalyst is the tool used to build Gentoo's official LiveCDs.
22 Despite being ~arch, >=catalyst-2 works fairly well as far as I know.
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list