From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 15:05:59
1 Grammar and style police are everywhere!
2 This week are they shooting themselves in the foot over some totally
3 trivial and meaningless extra characters somewhere on a line?
4 Is it a case of "#TriviaDoesntMatter"?
5
6 AFAICT the limitations on line lengths are are ANCIENT holdovers
7 from days of fixed lenght cards and glass-teletypes. Totally meaningless
8 in today's terminal emulator in GUIs world.
9
10 It is certainly laudable to keep text block widths reasonable. It is fact that
11 it is easier to read text at 6 or 7 inches wide versus more than 8 inches.
12 BUT, it is also clear that a *consistent* style is easier to read instead of
13 needlessly varying styles in one document.
14
15 As for "being hesitant to touch anything anymore"...
16 Practically all of the FOSS projects have adopted rather stringent and
17 ridiculuous requirements that programmers and other have to jump
18 through hoops (of flame?) to prove their qualifications to do anything.
19 Gentoo is maybe one of the more conservative about having to go
20 through the motions in oder to qualify as a "developer" and, personally,
21 I no longer have the time or inclination (at my age of 62) to do so, just so
22 that my 50+ years of programming and typing can be subject to the
23 arbitrary rules. I don't expect to be granted free access to the
24 code base without some oversight, but a code review by one or
25 more others before a commit would/should be more than adequate
26 to exclude bugs and blunders from being introduced.
27
28 Over the years I have done much for the FOSS movement, and I
29 have posted some small tools and scripts that some may find usefull, and
30 where possible I contribute via bugzilla. I much prefer Gentoo as a platform
31 since it is still committed to allowing the users to make significant
32 choices about the environment instead of imposing "one way" policies
33 as some other projects have done.
34
35 But seeing this little tempest merely convinces me that some folks
36 still don't get the point that some things of a substative nature
37 (such as correctness and choice) are of more importance than
38 other things (like "style" or options.) Also, avoiding idiosyncratic
39 changes that have unforseen or un-intended consequences should
40 be coordinated with others before introduction to a stable system.
43 G.Wolfe Woodbury
44 redwolfe@×××××.com