From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:29:01
1 Luke-Jr (luke-jr@×××××××.org) scribbled:
2 > On Friday 22 October 2004 10:13 pm, Mike wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:00:55 +0000, Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > > On Friday 22 October 2004 9:56 pm, Andrew Fant wrote:
5 > > > > I'm not sure that I would call that a cool benefit. It seems to come
6 > > > > close to an egregious violation of privacy. I know that there is no
7 > > > > promise of confidentiality in the use of the portage rsync servers, but
8 > > > > to actively and publicly start collecting data about who is using what
9 > > > > seems to only invite more paranoia.
10 > > >
11 > > > Except that it won't be able to reliably collect the "who" part, only the
12 > > > "what". Sure, you could log IPs, but many users IPs change more
13 > > > frequently than they sync.
14 > >
15 > > Even the what won't be reliable, as it won't show all of us who use
16 > > emerge-webrsync due to firewall restrictions.
17 > It would be a decent sample, though. Which is a positive thing, IMO...
18 > I recall when I was a developer I was wondering whether a pkg was ready for
19 > stable or if simply nobody had tried it... In that case, it was a
20 > not-so-common server, so I wouldn't be surprised if all the people using it
21 > stuck w/ stable version...
22
23 I'm also wary of the idea of logging what people have installed on their
24 machines... It's too prone to abuse. There are other solutions to your
25 dilemma above; say, asking on gentoo-user ;)
26
27 I don't think the potential for abuse is worth the knowledge gain.
28
29 Cooper.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list