From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Glep 55 use case: moving slot to file name
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:21:14
1 Donnie Berkholz kirjoitti:
2 > On 14:56 Fri 12 Sep , Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 >> Petteri Räty wrote:
4 >>> Icedtea has two release tracks. One for the 1.7 OpenJDK code base and
5 >>> one for the 1.6 code base. They have independent version numbering so
6 >>> they can have collisions. By moving the slot to the file name we could
7 >>> have icedtea-1.2:1.6.ebuildN and icedtea-1.2:1.7.ebuildN. This
8 >>> particular situation can be worked around of course but it might also
9 >>> be better to keep the slot in the file name any way because I often
10 >>> find myself needing to know the slot of an ebuild (adjutrix -k of
11 >>> course already does this for me quite nicely).
12 >>>
13 >>> Regards,
14 >>> Petteri
15 >>>
16 >> What's wrong with icedtea17-1.2 and icedtea16-1.2, because if its two
17 >> different code bases that come up with two different tarballs that could
18 >> be versioned differently or same that is the definition of a different
19 >> package.
20 >
21 > Have you considered reordering the versions it slightly, like this?
22 >
23 > icedtea-1.7.${version} (SLOT=1.7)
24 > icedtea-1.6.${version} (SLOT=1.6)
25 >
26 > This allows you to keep it in the same package name and thus be more
27 > similar to how upstream handles it. The SLOT still allows for useful
28 > dependencies, and people installing "any icedtea" will automatically get
29 > the newest one without having to somehow choose which of multiple
30 > package names is right.
33 I do know how to get around it, I did state that in my original email.
34 As it happens we are having a discussion on gentoo-java mailing list on
35 whether we should use icedtea-<openjdk build>.<icedtea version>.ebuild
36 or have different packages for the different slots. One of the upstream
37 authors argues for the icedtea6 approach but to me it seems a bit
38 Debianish but I agree with him on that 6.09.1.2 is not that clean either.
39
40 Regards,
41 Petteri