From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] deprecating /etc/make.profile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:20:49
1 On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:30:32 -0800
2 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 17:37 +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
5 > > On 1/11/07, Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > And I assume there is a non-trivial number of custom scripts out
8 > > > there using make.profile, but that's nothing we can do about.
9 > > >
10 > >
11 > > You could give them all a grace period for which have to comply with
12 > > the new standard by then end of it, and have ( during that grace
13 > > period ) an automatic symlink generation based on that make.conf
14 > > flag.
15 > >
16 > > And just to make sure, I doubt it would be too difficult to have an
17 > > application that analyises packages as they install to check whether
18 > > they reference make.profile or not, and flag a QA warning if they
19 > > do.
24 > > And packages that don't switch to the standard by the end of the
25 > > grace period I guess we'll see on a "last rites" bulletin ;)
26 >
27 > Or we/gentoo could just support it and stop breaking the end user.
28
29 A simple expedient would be to have the package manager re-create the
30 symlink according to the variable, whenever it is run.
33 Kevin F. Quinn