From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for May 28
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:42:41
1 Am Mittwoch, den 27.05.2009, 20:55 +0100 schrieb Roy Bamford:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On 2009.05.27 13:46, Ferris McCormick wrote:
6 > > On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 20:57 +0200, Tiziano Müller wrote:
7 > > > This is your friendly reminder! Same bat time (typically the 2nd &
8 > > 4th
9 > > > Thursdays at 2000 UTC / 1600 EST), same bat channel (#gentoo-
10 > > council
11 > > @
12 > > > irc.freenode.net) !
13 > > >
14 > > > If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
15 > > vote
16 > > > on, let us know! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole Gentoo
17 > > dev
18 > > > list to see.
19 > > >
20 > > > For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our
21 > > homepage:
22 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
23 > > >
24 > > >
25 > > > Following is the preliminary meeting agenda. First we'll have to
26 > > fill
27 > > > the empty spot. After a short upgrade on EAPI-3 implementation we
28 > > will
29 > > > discuss the removal of old eclasses, followed by our old friend
30 > > GLEP
31 > > 55.
32 > > > If we still have time we can dive into the topic of general EAPI
33 > > > development.
34 > > >
35 > >
36 > > Because Piotr recently amended GLEP55 to provide some further
37 > > clarification and justification as well as to present a few
38 > > alternatives
39 > > addressing some objections people have expressed, it seems to me that
40 > > the GLEP55 discussion should now go something like this:
41 > >
42 > > 1. Approve the concept in principle (I think Piotr's examples
43 > > sufficiently show the need for something along the lines set out in
44 > > the
45 > > revised GLEP);
46 > >
47 > [snip]
48 > > > Cheers,
49 > > > Tiziano
50 > > Regards,
51 > > Ferris
52 > > --
53 > > Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
54 > > Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)
55 > >
56 > GLEP 55 still confuses the problem and the solution.
57 > Adding metadata to the filename is not required and is bad system
58 > design practice. Its also the first step on the slippery slope to
59 > adding more metadata in the future.
60
61 Ok, while thinking even more about it I have to disagree.
62 I agree with you that users should be mostly unaware of EAPI as such.
63 But I don't see ebuilds or ebuild-names as kind of a user-visible
64 interface the average user has to handle (even though most if not all
65 Gentoo users will edit or even write an ebuild at least once). Instead
66 he should use the package manager which hides those implementation
67 details. As such I don't see a problem of exporting metadata information
68 into the ebuild-name.
73 Tiziano Müller
74 Gentoo Linux Developer, Council Member
75 Areas of responsibility:
76 Samba, PostgreSQL, CPP, Python, sysadmin, GLEP Editor
77 E-Mail : dev-zero@g.o
78 GnuPG FP : F327 283A E769 2E36 18D5 4DE2 1B05 6A63 AE9C 1E30