From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tightly-coupled core distro [was: Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:14:58
1 On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <mva@×××.name> wrote:
2 > 18.11.2012 22:51, Fabian Groffen пишет:
3 >> You end up with a symlink (e.g. bin -> ./usr/bin) from one place to the
4 >> other regardless, so it doesn't matter much.
5 >
6 > So, why not to make /usr/bin -> ../bin (or, maybe even /usr/bin -> /bin
7 > (notice the «/»)) ? :D
8
9 So, given the choices of:
10 1. Re-establishing FHS standards so that I can boot with / only.
11 2. Consolidating everything under /usr so that just about all
12 OS-managed files are in a single place.
13 3. Stuffing everything in /usr into my root partition.
14
15 I'd say that #3 is the worst of all possible worlds. At least there
16 is some kind of expected benefit from the /usr move. Sure, you COULD
17 shove everything into root, but I can't think of anybody in this
18 debate who would consider that a useful solution.
19
20 Go read the Fedora reasons-for-the-/usr-move page. Whether you think
21 it is worth it or not is one thing, but at least there are reasons for
22 it. I can't think of any benefits from doing the reverse.
23
24 Rich