From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: Eric Noack <eric.noack@×××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] which contribution prefered - to gentoo or to project itself?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:52:22
1 On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 09:45:21PM +0200, Eric Noack wrote:
2 > Hmm
3 >
4 > I agree that extra useflags arent such a good idea ;)
5 >
6 > Since the "Configure" of pcmcia-cs is not autogenerated but handmade, and
7 > the kernel configuration is allready read there, the hisax support of the interesting cards should
8 > be easy to check, so the ebuild will only do an extra patch.
9 > So my original question has been answered by the code already :)
10
11 good point. We can just add another fun sed line based on the
12 success/failure of the test on the kernel config.
16 > However its the question if it would be better to provide a patch "with" the sources of
17 > these *_cs.c pcmcia client drivers, that could break with the hisax part of the driver,
18 > or copy the kernel _cs.c files of this clients, which could possibly break with the pcmcia part.
19 >
20 > I personally would prefer trying to copy & compile the sources from the kernel dir, to fit against
21 > latest patches to the isdn and HiSax subsystem.
22
23 yeah. i agree now that i think more on it.
24
25 > I dont think the pcmcia system in the 2.4 kernel would be changed to a level where
26 > a _cs.c file from the kernel wouldnt compile with the pcmcia_cs pcmcia sub-system anymore,
27 > since that would affect the cardmgr and such, which comes always with pcmcia-cs
28 > and would have to comply with kernel-pcmcia in that case, too.
29 > It is theoretically possible, but a change to the isdn system or comunication between the
30 > hisax part and the _cs part of the same card driver is more likely, and would break _cs parts
31 > supplied by a patch to pcmcia_cs directly.
32
33 yeah. i thought of that right after i sent the email. Make up a version
34 of the ebuild copying over from /usr/src/linux, and lets see how well
35 that works out.
36
37 > The alternative would be to provide almost the whole isdn or at least hisax support with
38 > pcmcia-cs like its done with WLAN card support.
39 > but since only 3 of the about 2 dozen ISDN cards supported by HiSax are PCMCIAs,
40 > this wouldnt be such a good idea i think.
41
42 i agree; i think this would would be extra work, and a waste of time for people
43 when it's a small enough thing just to include in the pcmcia-cs ebuild.
46 Peter Johanson
47 <latexer@g.o>
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list