From: "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:52:26
1 >> Extended attributes can be turned off during compile time for each
2 >> filesystem you mentioned.
3 > If you turn off features you need, things break. There's nothing new
4 > about that. If you disable ext3 support in your kernel, you can't mount
5 > an ext3 partition and you'll get an error during boot about not finding
6 > the root.
7
8 What you're proposing, though, is *requiring* a feature most people
9 don't even know about or use. Yes, if I want to boot from ext3, I'll
10 need support for it in the kernel. That's a very fundamental
11 assumption and one that even our most "challenged" users will
12 understand.
13
14 Requiring extended attributes for the Portage tree is something
15 completely different. There's simply no need to require additional
16 features for something that can be done in the filename.
17
18 Is there any *technical* reason you object to the GLEP? Because your
19 aesthetic sense may be commendable but I for one find the suggestion
20 *beautifully* simple. :-)
21
22 Of course, taste can't be argued about (obviously I have an excellent
23 taste and you don't! ;-) ) so I'd be really curious if there are
24 technical reasons.
25
26 >> It wouldn't be great to require extended attributes for each and every
27 >> Gentoo box...
28 > Why not?
29
30 Because we shouldn't require stuff we don't *have* to.
33 Best regards, Wulf