From: Kevin Gordon <kgordon@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Fw: [gentoo-dev] emerge update
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:46:25
1 No this is not correct. Changing the files back made no difference.
2 Here is what is happening after rebooting:
3 I get a loop repeating "Caching service dependencies" (oh for the 486 days
4 when messages gracefully past down the screen).
5 Did a control-C
6 Get "rm: cannot unlink './pppd.tdb' : read-only file system"
7 Hangs on "Initializing random number generator"
8
9 I installed evolution yesterday. Sent test email to ISP and received back
10 ok. But crashed shortly afterward.
11
12 So want is my excuse?
13
14 Being a reluctant home handy-man I slowly walked down to the street frontage
15 of our house and began cutting the grass bank with hand shears. I did not
16 know that a bubble-bee, about 2cm long and 1.5cm fat, had entered the bottom
17 of my trouser leg and proceeded to crawl up the inside of my trousers. While
18 standing on the footpath (side-walk), cars and people passing by, the bee
19 decided to go on a flight. Instantly I felt a strange buzzing sensation been
20 my legs. I wondered shall I drop my trousers now or run up ten steps and
21 hide behind the low picket fence. Of course I decided to dash for cover.
22 Meanwhile the motion of running up the steps caused the bee to react and
23 sting me on the inside leg centimeters below my vital parts. As soon as I
24 dropped my trousers the bee attempted to escape, but I, concerned about New
25 Zealand's clean green image, swapped the bee into the next world. The two or
26 three people who stopped to watch did not see the bee but watched a crazy
27 man with trousers around his angles waving his arms around. Quickly I pulled
28 up my trousers and limped back into the house, the 8cm red blob on my leg a
29 timely reminder of the dangers of gardening.
30
31 Anyway this incident caused my concentration to wither!
32
33 Happy New Year
34 Kevin
35
36 ----- Original Message -----
37 From: "Kevin Gordon" <kgordon@××××××××××××.nz>
38 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
39 Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 8:16 PM
40 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge update
43 > I copied new config files for:
44 > pwdb.conf
45 > crontab
46 > depscan.sh
47 > checkfs
48 > shutdown.sh
49 > runscript.sh
50 > functions.sh
51 > reboot.sh
52 > halt.sh
53 > checkroot
54 > As I have never edited them before I left them as provided.
55 > Now the booting processes fail. Do 2 control-C then freezes.
56 > I need to do a rescue.
57 > What is the best way to boot up to copy the original files back?
58 > I have Build -r14 boot cd?
59 > Is it possible to make a boot CD from my current kernel (after I complete
60 > the rescue)?
61 >
62 > Cheers: a little sadly.
63 >
64 > Kevin
65 > ----- Original Message -----
66 > From: "Martin Schlemmer" <azarah@g.o>
67 > To: "Gentoo-Dev" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
68 > Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 1:56 PM
69 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge update