From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:57:12
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:36 AM Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I do think it would be a wise idea to "grandfather" the current layout
4 > for awhile.
7 I don't see why we would ever stop supporting it, at least in general.
8 Maybe if some day somebody had a solution for a read-only /usr with
9 signature checking that might require portage to be mounted elsewhere,
10 but I don't ever see that becoming the default.
11
12 Portage just looks for the repository where you tell it to. If you
13 tell it that the repository is in /var, it will use it. If you put it
14 in /tmp, that's fine too.
15
16 This is just about the default, which should follow FHS. The case of
17 separate mounts is exactly why /usr is a bad spot - the access
18 patterns for something like the repository have far more in common
19 with /var than /usr.
22 Rich